Eugene and Phillipe Garnier bought the property and built the Encino Roadhouse which became a twice-a-day stop for both the Butterfield and the Overland Mail Stage between Los Angeles and San Francisco. They also diversified the ranch and raised sheep, wheat, and barley. In the early 20th Century the community of Encino began to be developed. The Encino Chamber of Commerce began in 1927, but was temporarily disbanded during the great depression. The Chamber, which was revived in 1936, worked closely with the community to assist in the development of Encino. Just off Ventura and Balboa Boulevards is the Los Encinos State Park which still includes some of the original buildings constructed by the Garniers.